In Brampton, John’s dedication to the implementation of important structural elements such as Brampton City Hall, The Art Gallery of Peel, The Rose Theatre in Brampton and others projects of significant importance to the developments of the cultural aspects of his community. He continued to exemplify these priorities in his personal life by honing his skills as a visual artist, and as a Tenor. As an advocate for the arts he continues to support various artistic endeavor in the community. John has been actively involved with several organizations that serves the interests of the arts. Among them, the Brampton Arts Council, the Board of Trade, the National Art Gallery, the Theatre Advisory Board, and the Art Gallery of Peel. Additionally, John’s strong sense of gratitude towards Canada motivated him to involve himself in the issues such as integrity, transparency and accountability in the institutions of our great country.
In recognition of his dedication to his community and his pursuit of artistic and cultural progress, John has been recognized with multiple awards. Among them, Les Carbot Award from the Canadian Art Council, the 2004 Art Person of the Year, the 1993 Business Person of the Year and the 2007 Citizen of the Year.
John’s sense of principles, community and creativity has been the driving force that and inspires him. John holds firm to the belief that art, culture and philanthropy are at the foundation of a healthy and flourishing community. As such John continues to work and support various cultural interest. To advance these objectives, each year John holds among
other events an operatic gala and in support of various charities such as local hospitals, family Crisis center, art council, art gallery and many others.
List of Awards and Boards Participation over the Years
John has been a member of many organizations and councils. He continues to be an active member in a few of the following organizations still to this day:
- Brampton Citizen of the Year 2007
- Brampton Art Person of the Year 2004
- Certificate of Nomination for the 1999 Canadian Entrepreneur of the Year Award
- 1993 Brampton Business Person of the Year Award
- In 1992 the Queen Elizabeth II Commemorative Medal for the 125th Anniversary of the Confederation of Canada in recognition of significant contribution to compatriots, community and to Canada. (Presented in 1992)
- In 1991, John was honored with Les Carbot Award from the Government of Canada, through the Art Council. This award is given to persons who have made the most contributions to the betterment of the art and culture in their city.
- John is a long time member of Visual Arts Brampton
- Member of the National Art Gallery
- Member of the Brampton Arts Council
- Member of Beaux Arts Brampton
- Member of the Art Gallery of Peel Board for many years
- Member of the Theatre Advisory Board since 1989
- Appointment to two terms on the Property Standards Committee by Brampton City Council
- Board Member of the Chiropractor College of Canada and many other organizations over the year